You might already be thinking, “Oh, no! She’s jumped on the Essential Oils Bandwagon!” Why yes I have, let me tell you why!
My first official encounter with essential oils was a bit over 2 years ago. I was at a blogging conference in Dallas and sharing a hotel room with 3 other ladies. The VERY first day we all arrived, the friend whom I was sharing a bed with starting feeling awful…I mean AWFUL. Sore throat, coughing, fever. Great. And the next thing I know, I had accidentally picked up her water bottle and was drinking out of it. Let alone the fact that we were inseperable for 4 days at this conference. Sure enough, I would go home on Monday and find out that the strep throat she had would be coming my way!
Rewind back to the arrival day and the water bottle encounter. As soon as one of our roomies realized that I had used the wrong water bottle, she grabbed her Young Living Thieves Essential Oil. WHAT…was…she…doing?!?! She had me put it on my tongue and swallow it and rub it on my feet! OK! I had never met this woman before so I wasn’t going to tell her no.
Sure enough, as I kept thinking I would start feeling achy it never, ever hit. It had to be a fluke, right? Over the next year and a half, I kept hearing more and more people talk about using these oils and how it was changing their health and their families.
One of my very best friends started using the essential oils and convinced me to try the Premium Starter Kit. I finally made the plunge. Let me tell you, not a day goes by when I am not using the essential oils. They have become part of our everyday life, for the better. And I’ll share more about how below.
Essential Oils are Therapeutic Grade
What is therapeutic grade? The potential danger of an essential oil is generally relative to its level or grade of purity. Many essential oils are designed exclusively for their aroma-therapeutic quality; these essential oils generally should not be applied directly to the skin in their undiluted or “neat” form. Some can cause severe irritation, provoke an allergic reaction and, over time, prove hepatotoxic. Non-therapeutic grade essential oils are never recommended for topical or internal use. Source
I have a few good friends who use a brand of essential oils called Young Living so I listened to them talk about all of the amazing things that the oils were doing for their family. And I was impressed, but still not ready to join the “oil bandwagon.” But the more that I read, the more that I discovered that many of the essential oils companies on the market (even some of the ones that claimed to be therapeutic-grade) weren’t really giving the full story.
The Full Essential Oils Story
Almost every bottle of essential oil on the market claims to be “Pure Essential Oil”, but that claim can legally be made if there is as little at just 5% of the actual essential oil from the plant in the bottle. There is also no regulation for how an essential oil is to be extracted. Companies are free to use high-heat, high-pressure, and chemical-solvents to extract more from the plants, and still slap whatever label they want to on the oil. In fact, the majority of essential oil companies buy their oils from an oil broker. The company isn’t actually involved in the process of cultivating the plants or extracting the oils at all.
How to Know the Difference
Here are 8 questions to ask whenever you’re considering purchasing from an essential oils company (adapted from here):
1. Can this company guarantee that the land used to grow their plants & herbs is free of residual herbicides, pesticides, & chemicals?
2. Does this company own their own lab to test an oil’s composition?
3. Does this company ever purchase oils from outside suppliers? If so, does the company visit the farms and oil distilleries to observe the process and make sure that there are no added chemicals to the distillation of the oils and that the herbs and plants are grown completely free from contamination with herbicides, pesticides, and chemical fertilizers?
4. Does this company only use crops that were harvested at their peak time? And if so, does the grower test to make sure that the crop is at its peak time for harvesting?
5. Does this company continuously monitor the process of distillation to make sure that the oils produced from the distillation contain all of the correct therapeutic components?
6. Can this company guarantee that oils are discarded and not sold if mistakes were made during the distillation process that affect the quality of the oils?
7. Does this company’s oil suppliers use extra solvents during the distillation process to extract extra oil from the plants?
8. Can this company guarantee that nothing is added to the oils during bottling?
Why I chose Young Living
Young Living is the only company (probably because they were the pioneers in the therapeutic essential oils market) that has their own farms, can absolutely guarantee that no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of any of their oils (they guarantee absolutely no pesticides and they do all of the weeding by hand), has their own testing equipment (they do both in-house and 3rd party testing), only uses the first distillation of oils instead of adding chemicals to get more out of the plant, and basically answered all of my 8 questions in a way that I felt comfortable with.
Young Living also was the only company that was directly in charge of essential oil farming operations. Every other company I researched goes through some kind of an “oil broker” to buy their oils. They have to trust the oil broker that the farmers that he/she buys the oils from can be trusted to do what they are saying they are doing.
With Young Living, you just have to trust one company instead of several.
I feel like it’s a trust step either way (anyone could be lying) but I felt the most comfortable trusting Young Living since I had a few friends who had actually been to the Young Living farms and seen first-hand exactly how the plants were grown and the oils were distilled.
I also loved that I could just sign up and get the member discount (24%!) and not have to sell anything to anyone (after my Cutco knives experience back in 1998 I told myself I would never do sales again… it seems that everyone I talk to either had a “Cutco experience” or knows someone who has!) All I had to do to keep getting my discount was to buy $50 worth of products per year. Yeah, that was definitely doable since I use essential oils for so many things!
How I Use the Oils
I bought the premium starter kit and I’m super glad I did! Not a day has gone by since I got my oils that I haven’t used them.
Here are a few of my favorite oils in the starter kit.
Thieves essential oil blend –
1. Supports healthy immune function.*
2. May contribute to overall wellness when taken as a dietary supplement.*
3. Contains Eucalyptus Radiata essential oil, which may help maintain a healthy respiratory system when taken as a dietary supplement.* (Thieves, Eucalyptus Radiata)
4. Includes the naturally occurring constituent limonene. (Lemon, Eucalyptus Radiata, Rosemary)
5. Includes the naturally occurring constituent eugenol. (Clove, Cinnamon)
6. Includes the naturally occurring constituent eucalyptol. (Eucalyptus Radiata, Rosemary)
7. Includes Clove, which was used traditionally as a spice for flavoring food.
8. Add to food or beverages to enhance the flavor. Add a drop to hot drinks to add a spicy zing. (Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, Rosemary)
9. Add 1 drop Thieves to 2 drops Orange essential oil as a refreshing flavor to complement your favorite beverage.
10. Add 1 drop to a cup of warm water as part of a wellness regimen.
Peppermint essential oil –
1. Supports gastrointestinal system comfort.*
2. Promotes healthy bowel function.*
3. Enhances healthy gut function.*
4. Maintains efficiency of the digestive tract.*
5. Supports normal digestion.*
6. May support performance during exercise.*
7. Is a key ingredient in DiGize™.
Panaway essential oil blend –
- Apply topically after exercise.
- Supports the appearance of healthy skin coloration.
- Add to V-6™ Vegetable Oil Complex and apply to neck and back for a soothing aromatic experience.
- Has a stimulating aroma.
- Includes the naturally occurring constituents of methyl salicylate, gamma-curcumene, menthol, and eugenol.
There are SO many ways that you can use just the oils in the starter kit. (Click on the image below to make it larger.)
Even my kids grab the oils now! They love to pick what would be best in the diffuser as well as have learned what oils help maintain their wellness.
How to Buy Young Living Oils
There are a few different options. You’ll likely want to choose the wholesale member option when you sign up so that you’ll get the 24% discount (if you just choose “Customer” then the prices are retail prices). Once you fill out your information you will need to pick an enrollment kit. Here’s a little rundown of the different starter kits available:
I would strongly recommend starting with the Premium Starter Kit. It’s BY FAR the best value, as it includes 11 oils to try out (frankincense, lavender, peppermint, lemon, PanAway, Purification, Thieves, Copaiba, Digize, R.C. and Stress Away). You get your choice of diffusers, and the total retail value of the kit is over $300! And, just because I’m nice like that (and because I really believe these oils are life changing), if you sign up here at Moritz Fine Designs, I will throw in even more freebies–essential oils reference materials and a set of bottle labels!
Here’s how to sign up:
Frequently Asked Questions:
Does signing up make me a “distributor”?
Nope! You are not required to sell anything at all to anyone. When you become a wholesale member, you get a special link that you can share with friends and get credit from their purchases, but there are no minimum sales amounts at all. In fact, 90% of the wholesale members in Young Living don’t do the business side at all. They are buying from Young Living because of the quality alone
Am I required to make a minimum purchase each month?
There are absolutely NO minimum monthly purchase requirements. To remain a wholesale member, you have to make $50 worth of purchases per year to keep your membership. But if there’s a year that you don’t make a $50 purchase, you can reinstate your wholesale membership discount by just placing a $50 order.
If you do find yourself making regular purchases each month, then Young Living has a rewards program (called Essential Rewards) where you can make a nice percentage back in product credit each month on all of your purchases. So that’s a neat program to join if you find that you *want* to purchase regularly (but it’s not a requirement for being a wholesale member).
Why should I buy from Young Living instead of other essential oils companies?
It does seem like a new essential oils company pops up every day, doesn’t it?
I can’t speak to the quality of other companies, but I can say that Young Living was the only company in my research of essential oil companies that could answer all of my questions about purity in a way that was satisfactory to me.
Young Living was the only company that has their own farms (in the regions where the plants should be grown), could absolutely guarantee that no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of any of their oils (they guarantee no pesticides and they do all of the weeding by hand), has their own testing equipment (they do both in-house and 3rd party testing, and use many different testing methods not just GC/MS which only tests for certain chemicals, not whether those chemicals are synthetic or not), and only uses the first distillation of oils instead of adding chemicals to get more out of the plant.
Young Living also was the only company that was directly in charge of essential oil farming operations. Every other company I researched goes through some kind of an “oil broker” to buy their oils. They have to trust that the oil broker is telling the truth, who has to trust that the essential oil distilleries are telling the truth, who have to trust that the farmers are telling the truth about what they say they are doing.
With Young Living, you just have to trust one company instead of several.
I feel like it’s a trust step either way (anyone could be lying) but I felt the most comfortable trusting Young Living since they are a full-disclosure company. ANYONE can visit the farms, participate in the harvesting and distillation, view the Young Living labs, and see the entire process. That’s not an option with any other company.
How will I know how to use my oils?
One of the benefits of getting a starter kit through this promotion is that you also get to join our private Facebook group.
Does Young Living only sell essential oils?
The answer to this one was surprising to me when I first got my starter kit! Young Living actually has an entire line of personal care products, supplements, meal replacements, energy drinks, and more! Almost every product incorporates essential oils (for example, frankincense is absolutely wonderful in facial products), but there’s a wide variety of products available.