Fall is just around the corner, and you are probably already starting to feel the crisp fall air outside. The change of the seasons puts me in an organization mood, and also means it’s time to start preparing your home for winter! I know winter is still a few months away, but by starting to get your home prepared now, you won’t be in a rush to finish everything before the first snowfall.
There are a lot of practical steps you can do to prepare your home for the cooler months starting now! Check out this Home Fall Preparation Checklist to prepare your home for fall.
Home Fall Preparation Checklist
Porch and Deck
- Empty and stow planters for the winter
- Sweep the porch and deck
- Give any outdoor rugs a wash and store for the winter
- Wash the windows
- Clean the grill and store it (if necessary)
- Clean and stow patio furniture and pillows
Garage and Shed
- Declutter tools and equipment
- Sweep the floor
- Get rid of lingering trash and clutter
- Bring out snow shovel and sleds
- Store warm weather tools
- Bring out rakes
For more tips on deep cleaning your garage, don’t miss this post.
- Change out car emergency kits for colder weather
- Check tires and fluid levels
Front and Backyard
- Remove hoses from outdoor spigots
- Clean and store fire pit (we like to do this toward the end of fall)
- Cut down dead trees or hanging limbs
- Clean up yard
- Close pool
- Clear debris from downspout
- Replace bulbs if needed in outdoor lighting
- Clean out gutters
- Check vents
- Prepare firewood
- Inspect roof and exterior of home
- Check weatherstripping and replace if needed
- Wash screens and storm doors
- Service the furnace
- Sweep the chimney
- Check furnace filter
- Check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Set thermostat for winter months
Using this fall organization checklist, your home will be ready for fall before you know it! If you are looking to deep clean your home before fall arrives, don’t miss my post on how to deep clean every room in your house.
BE MORE SUCCESSFUL!
Learn how to feel more accomplished and eliminate the overwhelm from life. Simply opt-in below to get the 10 Tips to Make Every Day Successful Cheat Sheet sent straight to your inbox!